1/31/2006

Joe's World 1: A New Son

Hi Vince,

I just sent a present to my son. I hope it arrives in time for his graduation. I am still amazed that he managed to find me. This has all been so confusing and exciting.

You seemed confused about how we reconnected after all these years. I am sorry I didn't explain it very well. I will try to do so now.

When Mary and I broke up Billy wasn't born yet. I didn't even know she was pregnant. She married a big islander fellow and then produced a small lily white kid. Her husband accepted the boy as his own and raised him. His family never did and when he died things were awkward. All of Mary's other children like Bill and he gets along with them but the relatives are another matter.

When Bill turned 18 his mother told him about me. He knew he had another father but knew nothing more. He began to search the 'net for my name and found me via my publishers website. He had visions of meeting his "millionaire author dad" and got me instead. Ah, well.

When he contacted me I was skeptical at first and then stunned. I had a son! I checked and double checked to make sure he wasn't some kook trying to scam me. I then contacted him by instant messenger and we seemed to get along fine. It was like meeting an old friend. The only odd moment was when we first talked on the phone. It was hilarious because of our different accents.

We have been communicating now for six months and have gotten to know each other quite well. There have been a few tough times when the reality of our situations interfered with our ideas of "what might have been". Reality hurts sometimes.

He invited me to his graduation and I was thrilled. It is a shame I will miss it. It's another one of those moments I wasn't there for him.

This is turning into a novel so I had better stop here. I will phone you later.

Joe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home